Member countries elected Japan’s Masahiko Metoki as the next UPU Director General and Slovenia’s Marjan Osvald as Deputy Director General during the 27th Universal Postal Congress in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
Mr. Metoki was elected in the first round of voting with 102 votes, compared to 40 votes for Pascal Clivaz of Switzerland and 14 votes for Jack Hamande of Belgium.
Speaking after his election, Mr. Metoki said he was “humbled” by the trust extended to him by the UPU’s members.
“I promise again that I will always work for all the UPU member countries by listening to each voice carefully and by considering your differences,” he said.
Congratulating his successor, UPU Director General Bishar A. Hussein said, “Member countries have expressed their confidence in you and in Japan to lead this Union for the next cycle. I want to congratulate the Government and the delegation of Japan on this remarkable achievement."
Mr. Metoki has enjoyed an extensive career in the public service, particularly in the postal sector. He is currently Senior Vice President of International Affairs at Japan Post and has represented Japan as Chair of the UPU's Postal Operations Council since 2012.
Mr. Osvald was elected Deputy Director General after two voting rounds, succeeding with 86 votes from member countries.
Following his election, Mr. Osvald promised he would “fight for accountability, transparency and business ethics.”
Mr. Osvald is an accomplished executive with 24 years of progressive experience in international postal operations, strategy and sales. He is currently a Senior Adviser to the Executive Management of the Post of Slovenia, responsible for international relations and organizations, Mr. Osvald was promoted to this position following 12 years of service as International Mail Director.
To learn more about the Director General and Deputy Director General-elect, click here.
Council of Administration & Postal Operations Council
Member countries also cast their ballots to elect new members to the Council of Administration (CA) and Postal Operations Council (POC).
The countries elected to the CA include:
- Western Hemisphere: Argentina, Chile, Canada, Cuba, Uruguay, United States of America, Peru, Paraguay
- Eastern Europe & Northern Asia: Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russian Federation
- Western Europe: Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom
- Southern Asia & Oceania: Bangladesh, China (People’s Rep.), India, Jordan, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, United Arab Emirates
- Africa: Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Nigeria, Tanzania (United Rep.), Tunisia, Zambia
- Western Hemisphere: Argentina, Barbados, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, United States of America
- Eastern Europe & Northern Asia: Bulgaria (Rep.), Georgia, Kazakhstan, Poland, Romania, Russian Federation
- Western Europe: Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Southern Asia and Oceania: Australia, China (People's Rep.), India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, Viet Nam
- Africa: Algeria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Egypt, Kenya, Madagascar, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania (United Rep.), Tunisia