Measuring digital postal services
“The digital economy and digital postal activities – a global panorama”
Now in its 3rd edition, the report is an indispensable tool for governments and policymakers seeking to understand the Post as a vehicle to deliver digital inclusion, to advance digitalization and to help achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
This publication series highlight developments in digital postal services globally and provides a better understanding of the patterns of countries’ digital postal capability. It contributes to the ongoing discussions on the critical role of digital transformation of the postal industry, identifying strategies and policies where digital postal services can create value.
Using data gathered from 125 postal operators, it shows how Posts have developed their digital capacity to contribute to the development of the digital economy. Key findings of the surveyed Posts include:
- 93% of Posts provide digital postal services, directly or in partnership
- 73% of Posts indicate an increased investment in digital postal services
- 70% of Posts are building partnerships with private companies in order to be agile, share risk and reduce financial burdens
There is a continued expansion of mobile digital postal services. In 2012, only 16 Posts reported that they offer mobile apps, compared to 57 Posts in the latest data.
Postal Technology Radar
Also included in the report, this postal industry technology radar gives an insight into the postal operators’ perception of new technological trends that could affect (positively or negatively) their digital postal business in the future. The areas perceived as having the highest potential impact in the latest edition are:
- Big data, data analytics and cloud computing technologies;
- Cyberattacks, cybersecurity standards and technologies;
- New payment technologies such as mobile wallets;
- Sensors applied to postal infrastructure (vehicles, mailboxes) – Internet of Things (IoT);
- Adoption of .POST as a secure and trusted interconnected platform.
The latest UPU E-Commerce Guide 3rd edition provides a set of practical recommendations for postal organisations to consider in the development of their own e-commerce capabilities and services for domestic, regional and cross-border markets.