The UPU, as the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players, helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services that integrate cutting-edge technology. During the Postal Operations Council (POC) session, the UPU is organizing a forum under the theme “Addressing the postal sector – Integrating location”. It will bring together multi-sectoral representatives and experts to demonstrate and discuss how member countries can better engage in the integration of geographic information systems (GIS) into postal data.
Thursday, 2 November 2023, 9:00 - 12:00
Mr Jean-Paul Forceville, representing France, Chair of the Postal Operations Council
Mr Masahiko Metoki, UPU Director General
Keynote speech: Address value: leaving no one behind
Professor Richard Maude, Professor of Tropical Medicine, Centre for Tropical Medicine and Global Health, University of Oxford
Keynote speech: Initiative to promote and enhance EAD quality
Mr David Pilkington, representing the United Kingdom, Chair of the Customs Group
Panel 1: Applying geocodes to the postal network
For the postal sector, the use of geocodes opens up a new world of possibilities to precisely and unambiguously identify and locate any feature of the physical postal network and the logistical components thereof, for better service delivery and customer satisfaction.
- Mr Samir Maged, Head of GIS, Egypt Post
- Dr TengTeng Qu, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, University of Peking
- Mr Sol Alavi, Co-Founder and CEO, Geomain
- Mr Pieter Geelen, Co-Founder and CEO, Mapcode and TomTom
Handover between panels
Panel 2: Mapping the postal network: the art of datasetting
Datasets are at the heart of postal network digitalization processes and the modern management of postal information. This panel will discuss better ways to build and handle postal data settings for the future of a modern postal business.
- Mr Stéphane de Goesbriand, Co-Founder, Edenmap
- Ms Yuting Zhao, Product Manager, SFMAP Technology
- Mr Alex Little, MSA, Senior Manager, Omnia AI, Deloitte Canada’s AI practice
- Mr Jean-Baptiste Drechsler, Director General, Geoptis France
Handover between panels
Panel 3: Using artificial intelligence to innovate the postal chain
Combining artificial intelligence with postal address data would allow Posts, at national level, to extract the most relevant information from postal items in order to improve item handling and postal logistics. On an international scale, deep learning applied to big data, using a dynamic network analysis, could provide Posts with an unparalleled opportunity to meet market expectations while reducing their ecological footprint.
- Mr Carsten Bjornsson, Land Administration Lead, Esri
- Ms Aliya A. Alsabti, General Manager, National Address Unit, Saudi Post
- Mr Lorenz Dolezalek, Partner, Boston Consulting Group
- Mr Jose Anson, UPU Economist
Mr Marjan Osvald, UPU Deputy Director General
Watch live on UPU TV.